How lovely are your…everything, lol
I’m typing this as I gobble some down at the moment =O
The anatomy of a frito pie is quite simple. More like an open faced savory pie with a “crust” of crunchy, salty frito’s, cuddling with a tangle of spiced chili, fresh bits of onion, and melting cheddar. Need I say more?
Now, my poor frito pie has been accused of bringing with it no class. Despite the valiant efforts of many fine dining establishments to whore up any burger or pizza, at the end of the day, both said burger and pizza know right and well what they are. Frito Pie doesn’t ask for much. He just wants to be devoured, consumed–loved. :::sigh::: don’t we ALL?!
Sometimes, I’m perfectly content with an extra hot latte, sitting downtown (oh-sorry, “uptown), or at the park and people watching. Sometimes, it really are the simple things in life.
Simple thing, take 1-Action!
- 3 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1 ts oregano
- 2 ts smoked paprika
- ¼ ts cayenne
- 1 ts unsweetened, natural cocoa
- ½ ts cinnamon
- 1 tb cumin
- 2 tb chili powder
- 1 fat jalapeno
- 2 c crushed tomatoes + ¼ c water
- 1 can pintos
- 1 can kidney (both rinsed and drained)
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- Frito chips
- Onions (minced)
- Cheddar (shredded)
- Soften all of your spices/garlic/peppers in a couple tabs of butter/bacon fat over low-medium heat.
- Work in your meat, coating it and breaking it up in the spiced mixture
- Pour in your tomatoes, water, and beans
- Allow it to bubble and stew
- To assemble, arrange your chips on the bottom, top with healthy ladle-fuls of piping hot chili, and sprinkle over with onions and cheddar (and squirts of hot sauce, if you dare)
Wishing y’all a happy & safe superbowl party!
Your Squishy Monster