Strawberry Fields Forever

Strawberry Ice Cream (No Eggs/Machine)

April 23, 2012 by The Squishy Monster

I have a tendency to like a song and play it ovvver and ovvvver again.  My friends like to groan and throw things at me.  The song by the Beatles was one of them.  After the 50th time, I can understand how it can get annoying.  Facing endless fields of strawberries to go a’pickin’ was definitely not an annoyance.  I had a blast.  Nigella was quoted in saying “I’d rather eat than wear fashionable clothes.”  Ah, how true this rings for me as well.  Presented with empty pails to fill with ripe ruby berries to my hearts content was like the equivalent of a shopping spree in any couture shop.

How goooorgeous are these?!

I found myself sitting in the muck of squashed berries that people had carelessly strewn all over the ground, not caring that my newly washed jeans began to bleed with berry stains and taking my glorious time with hand plucking these plump, fragrant babies.  Sun shining with an endless supply of strawberry perfume, I could have made a home for myself, nestled between the beautiful red and green streaked field.  I laugh as I imagine my fat, happy self, rolling around in the Strawberry field, turning pinker by the day.

Needless to say, I rushed home, excited and breathless, as if  I’d run the entire way to make use of Berries that I would try to restrain myself from greedily gobbling up with honey (though, these were so sweet that they didn’t even need it)!

Cue strawberry ice cream.  For the longest time, I’ve flirted with the idea of investing in an ice cream machine but somehow always talked myself out of it.  Boy am I glad I did!  Between the semi freddo’s, creamy granitas, and no-churn ice creams of the world, it’s just one less bulky piece of machinery you don’t have to wash!

NO MACHINE Strawberry Ice Cream

5.0 from 2 reviews

Strawberry Ice Cream

Prep time

• 2 c cold heavy cream
  • 1 c powdered sugar
  • ⅔ c fresh strawberry puree

1. Whisk everything until you reach soft peaks (not looking for whipped cream here)
  2. Freeze for at least 5 hours
  3. Enjoy!

Notes
You can used canned fruit if you don’t have anything fresh, and while we’re on the subject, go crazy and use whatever Nectars, Juices, or Purees you can get your hands on)!

Let me take you down
‘Cause I’m going to…

eat all the ice cream by myself!!

XOXO
Your Squishy Monster

13 Comments »

1. yara says:

when you said you need straberies why did you put satraberry purre instead?

An intact strawberry would be too coarse. You can mash it up with a fork or use a processor if you’d like, I hope this helps :)

2. yara says:

instead of powdered sugar can you use regular sugar?

You could. The powdered sugar is to ensure a silkier finish. Caster sugar is another option. Since the finished product will be frozen, you don’t want any granules to be suspended within the cream. The powdered sugar is finer and dissolves easily :)

3. yara says:

OMG!!!! you make the best ice cream in the world!!!

4. Mia says:

Can you use heavy whipping cream because I was going to make this and idk if it was heavy cream or heavy whipping cream so I bought whipping and when I got home I saw that it was heavy cream and I was so worried that it would turn out bad please reply

5. cynthia says:

i love the recipe cut can i substitute the powdered sugar with regular sugar ???

Hi Cynthia! I’ve never tried it because I was concerned about the possible grittiness that the granulated sugar may impart but it may dissolve a bit and be fine. I would experiment with it. Lemme know how it worked out =)

6. kaylie says:

omg so cute and easy!!! gotta try with all the fruits in the house hhehe thanks for easy recipes!!

7. Gusmiko 2030 says:

This looks so awesome gorgeous!!! Take care!