Cheesy, Meaty, Crunchy, Gooey

Bacon & Cheese Fritters

May 3, 2012 by The Squishy Monster

Bacon-cheese-fritters.  With all things considered, it’s hard to think you need much more beyond that.  Of course, I say this facetiously, but I don’t imagine that I’m too far off.

This idea sprung on me one morning as I sat eating a late breakfast of heavy, streaky slices of bacon, topped with melted, broiled cheese, on crunchy, golden toast.  These bacon cheese fritters are exactly what I had for dinner that night…an echo of an earlier meal but made even more delicious with the magical properties of hot, bubbling oil.

This is even further accessible for the fact that a). they’re super easy and b). when a generous portion of bacon is fried off and cheese is grated earlier in the day, half your assembling work for dinner is completed.

Here’s how to do it:

Bacon & Cheese Fritters

Bacon Cheese Fritters

Prep time

• 2 c shredded mozzarella (smoked is very nice)
  • 8 slices of crisped bacon
  • ½ c Italian bread crumbs + healthy grating of parmigiano-reggiano
  • 2 beaten eggs
Egg Wash
  • 2 beaten eggs + 2 tb cream/whole milk
  • 2 c panko bread crumbs

1. Combine your ingredients together in a bowl
  2. Roll a spoonful or so of your mixture into a ball
  3. Dip your ball into your egg-wash and roll into your panko
  4. Chill all your prepared fritters in the Fridge for at least 30 min
  5. Fry in batches (the oil should be at 360 or so–a fry thermometer helps)
  6. Retrieve your fritters when they’ve reached a deep, golden brown. Remember not to overcrowd the oil and to leave at least 2 inches or so on top in your heavy bottomed pan.

Notes
If you’d like a flavored oil, plunge a stalk of fresh rosemary into your oil first for a few minutes. Great “frying oils” are ones with high smoke points= safflower, peanut, canola, veggie, etc. Remember that extra virgin olive oil should never be used for frying.

Nutrition Facts

Dietary Fiber 0.14 g0.56%

Sugars 0.9 g

Protein 5 g9.7%

Vitamin A 2.6% Vitamin C

Calcium 8.7% Iron 1.5%

*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet

Wishing everyone a delicious and bacon-cheesy day!

XOXO

Your Squishy Monster

25 Comments »

1. Katie says:

I was wondering if you could bake them in a convection oven on a sheet tray and get the same effect. I would love to eat these but I’d want to try to make a healthier version.

2. That looks absolutely delicious! Seems quite easy to make too :)

3. janice says:

sounds delicious cant wait to try

4. Jimbo says:

Wow! Crazy good! Love your videos. Made the kimchee fried rice today. Yuuummmmmm

5. Lester says:

This is sooooooo delicious and easy to make Angie!Ham would be great to use in this recipe I think.Love the music at the end and your nail color.Have a great day.Lester.

thanks so much for finding me on here, Lester! I hope you enjoyed your weekend =D XOXO!!!

• Lester says:

You are welcome and thank you Angie.Yes I had a great week end! Sounds like you did too!Have a great evening ! Be happy! xoxoxoxoxo!

Lester.

6. Deborah says:

These sound amazing, and I’m sure I’d want to eat a whole batch myself!!

7. Lind says:

Yum, my boys would LOVE that!

8. Debbie says:

This recipe looks really yummy for a party or a Sunday dinner. Thank you for stopping by my blog.

9. This looks amazingly yummy!

10. Hey Angie! My goodness it’s been ages! I haven’t been on YT forever because the blog redesign took so long. That’s where my main following is so I admit I’ve been ignoring Youtube for a while! I ordered a mic though and plan to get back on there soon =) Love these fritters, the photo is awesome!

I knooow. I missed ya!! I’ve been meaning to get a mic. Whenever I’m on the stove, my voice seems like a mumble, lol. I look forward to seeing you, girl!!!

11. Gusmiko 2030 says:

Hi again gorgeous! OMG I used to love onion rings, that was my fav fried food. Now is this. So easy to make and so delish. Take care, love yah!!!

12. manolisvlog says:

Wow!! I am drooling on the computer monitor..

I love cheese and bacon and these little bites look SO yummy and amazing and crunchy…Thanks for sharing..

P.S I am going to make some creps to eat now cause I AM HUNGRY! lol!!