From Cupcakes to Traditional Korean Food and Everything in Between

Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

Your wallet + your veggie friends will love you!

I don’t know about you, but in my house, I go through eggs and butter like water.  There’s nothing more satisfying than opening up a door to a fully stocked pantry, cupboard or fridge but on sadder days, I have [maybe] a 1/2 stick of butter and an empty carton of eggs.  Confession #564, I’d rather have a well stocked pantry than a Carrie Bradshaw closet.  I wish the neighborhood would allow me to keep hens :( I know that not everyone feels this way (for a variety of reasons), but I happen to love eggs.  I use them often when I bake and love them any which way to eat.

So, on those days that you don’t feel like running out (or you’re a vegan–kudos to you because I never could figure out how to maintain it), these are my go -to.  Quick, easy, and indulgent, these will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth.

5.0 from 1 reviews

• 1 ts vanilla
  • 1 c powdered sugar
  • 2-3 tb coconut milk**
Optional
  • Melted chocolate/or "ganache"***
  • Chopped peanuts
  1. In your first bowl, sift in your flour, soda, and salt.
  2. In your second bowl, whisk together your water, sugar, cocoa and coffee.
  3. In your third bowl, beat together your oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Next, blend in your second bowl (to your third bowl) and slowly sprinkle in your first bowl (in three separate additions or so).
  4. Remember not to over mix and bake at 350 for 17-22 minutes.
  5. For the frosting, cream together your peanut butter and "butter/shortening." Add in your salt and vanilla. Slowly add in your powdered sugar and alternate with your "milk." Add in more "milk" or powdered sugar as needed.
  6. Finish off by pressing chopped peanuts on top and drizzle over with chocolate.
Notes
*you can sub with the same amount of apple sauce. This will create a chewier vs softer cake. **You can use whatever dairy substitute you'd like. ***I used Trader Joe's chocolate which is non-dairy.

Showin’ love to my vegan peeps ;)

Your Squishy Monster ^.^

33 thoughts on “Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

• Sheree says:

Hi there! I’m making these this evening and have never used agave before. I did pick it up today but now realize the recipe doesn’t say how much to use in place of the sugar. I did find this when I did a google search “Substituting Agave Nectar for Granulated Sugar

White Sugar
    For each cup of white sugar replaced, use 2/3 of a cup of agave and reduce other liquids by 1/4 to 1/3 cup. This substitution will also work for Demerara Sugar, Turbinado Sugar, Evaporated Cane Juice, or Sucanat.”

But I still would love to know how much you use as I didn’t see you make any adjustments to other liquids. I know this is an old post so just hoping you see it still. I’m probably going to go ahead and make it with sugar tonight just to be on the safe side. Thanks so much for the recipe..:)

Hello, Sheree! Great question. I personally enjoy these better with sugar {as it yields a fluffier cake} while agave yields a spongier cake but when I do use it I swap the 1 cup for 1/3 cup {but you can add more or less depending on your personal taste. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions =)

• Sheree says:

Thanks so much for your speedy reply..:)
        I have a son that has been vegan for the past two years. Every weekend when I bake a cake or cupcakes he asks me if there are eggs in there? I sort of reply with “Heck ya, I don’t know how to make a cupcake/cake without eggs.” Anyway, he loved the cupcakes as did most everyone else. Good to know I have options!

PS…I found it interesting that when I took these out of the oven, they were the most perfect cupcakes I’ve ever baked. Even rising, perfect height. No sinking in the middle, no muffin tops hanging over the side! I couldn’t get over it..:)

• Charles says:

Those look awesome – I just love that the layer of frosting is higher than the cake itself… haha! :D

• Lester. says:

MMMMM! sounds LOVELY and delicious, cloudy, fluffy, chocolatey Angie.

• oh my god i hear you on running out of eggs (and butter!)! there are only 3 of us and we must go through 2 dozen eggs a week, it is insane! i will definitely be turning to your cupcakes next time i’m in need of a baked good and am out of eggs!

I can totally relate. When I look back, it’s almost scary to realize that I’ve gone through so much in such a short amount of time ..eek!

I have definitely had those running out of eggs and butter moments…and it’s always so traumatic!! These cupcakes definitely seem like the way to go, though!

I know, right? It’s doubly worse when you’ve just baked cupcakes and realized you have no butter for the frosting, lol.

• They look so good I can’t tell at all that they’re vegan :D I often have days like that where there’s no eggs and/or no butter…it certainly doesn’t feel good! Now I know what to make even if I don’t have them. :D

• LinsFood says:

Scrumptious! You wouldn’t believe they’re vegan, looking at them! Yes, I love eggs and butter too!

• Waegook Tom says:

Now Angie, you know I’m a rabid carnivore, but this actually does sound delicious. Anything that contains peanut butter is a winner in my book. I’d become vegan if it meant that you’d feed me these cupcakes all day.

It appeals to the carnivorous side of me too. Apparently, BK just came out with a bacon sundae…hm.

• looks crazyyyyyyyyy good. i’m not vegan, but i’d take this anyday. :-)

• Reeni says:

We go through eggs like crazy here too! I never baked anything vegan before! I’m inspired now. These look insanely good!

• CCU says:

You are so too genius, I can’t believe these are vegan!!!!!
    They are so delicious looking :D

• Tom Cote says:

these look fantastic…….I want these now !!

• vulcan says:

that peanut butter frosting sounds so good!!!
    I’m not vegan so I think I would add 12 lbs of bacon to the recipe and have a stick butter in my ears…eggs on my head.

• LESTER says:

Angie.These look so yummy! Easy to make!

I often feel eggs and butter may be better than these substitute products they claim are better for us.I knew a lady( Eva) she said she loved butter so much she could bathe in it! Lol!! Her exact words Angie.Thanks for sharing and have a lovely day!

xoxoxo.

Thanks Les! For the purpose of these, I highly recommend Earth Balance or Spectrum. They most the most gorgeous cloudy buttercreams.