Helloooo Autumn!

Chai Cupcakes

September 21, 2012 by The Squishy Monster

Tomorrow marks the arrival of Autumn which is my absolute favorite time of the year!  Needless to say, there will be a liberal use of exclamation marks in this post.  Autumn means warm and spicy liquids, toppling over with mounds of whipped cream, flushed cheeks, fuzzy mittens, and a dazzling array of bold foliage on display.  One of my favorite Autumn-y beverages is a steaming swirl of spicy chai in frothy milk so I figured why not make it into a cupcake to celebrate the arrival of Autumn?–yaaaaay!!!

How to Bake Chai Cupcakes

• 2 tb softened Butter
  • 2 tb Apple Sauce*
  • 1 room temperature Egg
  • ¼ c warm Buttermilk
  • 3 Chai Tea Bags
  • ½ ts Apple Cider Vinegar

1. Sift all of your dry ingredients into your first bowl (excluding your spices).
  2. In a separate cup, steep your tea bags for at least 5 minutes. Scoot in all of your spices and let it sit.
  3. In your third bowl, cream together your sugars and butter. Slowly stream in your egg.
  4. Still working with your third bowl, spoon in your apple sauce (if you’re using it) and also slip in your spiced tea mixture. Next, dribble in your apple cider vinegar.
  5. Lastly, you want to marry your first bowl with your third bowl–sprinkle in your dry mixture in about 3 separate additions, taking care not to over mix.
  6. Bake at 350 for 17-22 minutes for standard size cupcakes.
  7. Cool and frost with cream cheese frosting.

Notes
*you can omit the Apple Sauce and use ¼ c soft Butter instead. Also, it’s best to grind your own, whole spices in a spice grinder (it makes for a beautifully spiced cake).

You can top with buttercream, or my favorite thing to top everything with…  cream cheese frosting.

Dust with pumpkin spice or cinnamon, take a HUGE bite!! (or 3, 6, 12…) and you’re ringing in Autumn the right way, I assure you ;)

Love & Warm & Spicy Kisses,

49 Comments »

1. Nic says:

I HAVE to try this!

2. What great flavors for fall. I may need to break down and bake!

3. These are calling my name! I am crazy for all things Chai! These are heavenly. One of the best ways to welcome fall.

4. I LOVE anything chai tea related – must try!

5. I’m not a fan of Chai but these look so good I may have to give it another try! A friend of mine told me that there are good chai’s and bad (and that I probably tried one that wasn’t so good). Thanks for inspiring me to give it another shot!

6. grace says:

i think the spices in chai tea should be deposited into every single baked good every time it’s made–muffins, scones, cakes, cupcakes, cookies, and the rest. LOVE IT!

7. these are incredible! they sound amazing, and i cannot wait to make them!

8. Alison says:

I love chai and I love cupcakes, this is perfect!! Must. Try.

9. Your Chai Cupcakes look beautiful and delicious. I can’t wait to bake them. Thanks for sharing.

10. Liz says:

What a perfect way to usher in autumn!!!! Yummy cupcakes topped with my favorite frosting :)

11. Theresa says:

Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe! I made a recipe months ago that could be a close cousin to Chai Cupcakes, Gingerbread Cupcakes. They were a great hit was a friend who dropped by at the time and with me too :D Can’t wait to try these out!

12. Oooh, i love chai tea – i bet these cupcakes are just amazing! YUM!

13. Lester. says:

Angie the chai drink and cup cakes look lovely and delicious!! As always , thanks for sharing these great recipes!

Like the seconds,minutes, hours, weeks, days , and years, seasons change…

With change can and hopefully comes a new beginning. Something better, exciting, hopeful, wonderful!!

Have a great week end Angie!

Love!

14. why oh why do you always have to make me drool???? *sigh* chai and cupcakes??? perfection. i want!!!!!

15. I have been READY for autumn since 1st September!! These cupcakes look beautiful.

16. What a wonderful combination of flavors! A perfect recipe to celebrate autumn!

17. “Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot”

Autumn, my favorite time of year. I was born for it- quite literally. And what better way to celebrate mother nature preparing herself for winter than with my favorite spice drink, in edible form. I cannot wait to try these out. I’m certain they would be the ‘icing on the cake’ as a sweet treat on a mountain picnic to welcome the changing of the foliage. I can already hear Asheville calling my name. ;)

Happy Autumn Angie!! -and thanks for sharing!

What a beautiful quote, Paul! I remember you’re a September baby, too! I can’t wait to scoot up for a front row seat to see the fall leaves show!

18. libishski says:

I love chai – chai tea with milk is definitely the perfect Autumn/Fall drink!

19. it’s almost time for Halloween!!

I bet those cupcakes are super yummy
    we should put pumpkins on them….

vampires and zombies…n stuff

20. Veronica says:

Yes, I love it. Love cupcakes, love chai-sounds perrrrfect!!

21. Tandy says:

Sounds delicious! Wishing you a great weekend :)

22. Ooh, the chai sounds delicious in these cupcakes!

23. I drink Chai every morning, making from scratch. I love cardamom frangrance and can’t wake up without this drink. The thought of chai cupcakes really tempted me! Sounds so good. I’d like these cupcakes along with my chai! :D Have a great weekend!

24. What an utterly cute and delicious way to celebrate upcoming autumn :)

25. Louise says:

Ah Autumn, I do love this time of year, Squishy. For some reason I always see things more clearly in the Fall. Not quite sure why though, lol…Baking up Chai Cupcakes is a wonderful way to welcome the new season. Happy Autumn Squishy:)

I feel the same way–it gearing towards renewal and everything just feels so clean and fresh! Happy Autumn, Louise!!