Author: The Squishy Monster
Recipe type: Baking/Dessert
- 3 c unbleached flour*
- 2 ts baking powder
- ¼ ts fine salt
- 1 ts cinnamon
- ½ ts freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 sticks softened unsalted butter
- ½ c sugar
- ½ c brown sugar
- 2 ts vanilla
- 2 room temperature eggs
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1-2 tb milk
- Splash of vanilla
- Food color
- In your first bowl, sift together all your dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, spices.
- In your second bowl, cream together your butter and sugars for at least 5 minutes (please use soft, room temperature butter).
- Tip in your vanilla and one egg at a time. Mix well.
- In three separate additions, combine your wet and dry together, being mindful not to over beat.
- Roughly form your dough into a flat circular shape, wrap with plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Roll out your dough to about ¼" thickness (lightly flour your hands, roller, and cookie cutters). I like to roll and cut directly on my plastic wrap.
- Dip your cutters in a bit of flour between each cut and lay them on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for about 8-10 minutes. Cool immediately on cookie racks.
- To make the icing, whisk together your powdered sugar, milk and color. (Tailor to how thick or loose you like your icing).
*Considering all the sugar involved, I opted to use spelt flour for these
Recipe by The Squishy Monster at http://thesquishymonster.com/2012/12/christmas-cookies.html