The last time I went to Korea, my cousins took me to “Pizza Hut.” It seemed like everything had corn on it. It bothered me then, but I’ve really latched onto the concept since. It echoes my childhood breakfasts of canned beans and corn. Now this “pizza” doesn’t have corn on it, (but it could)! It elaborates on the idea of putting things in a dish that, in hindsight make complete sense! Like one of those Homer Simpson “d’oh!” moments. Why should Korean BBQ be held to the strict confines of rice and kimchi? Holy cow, next time I make this, I’m definitely adding kimchi!!!
- 1 ribeye
- ½ onion
- 6-8 mushrooms (any variety)
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 pieces of naan (pizza dough or any flat-bread works as well)
- 2 c shredded mozzarella (any nicely melting cheese would work)
- Bulgogi marinade (recipe follows)
- Gochujang sauce (recipe follows)
- ¼ c soy sauce
- 1 tb agave/coconut nectar/honey/rice syrup
- 2 tb grated Asian pear or Fuji apple
- ½ ts ginger
- 2 ts garlic
- 2 ts sesame seed
- 1 tb sesame oil
- ¼ c hot pepper paste (or roasted red peppers/tomatoes)
- ½ tb agave/coconut nectar/honey/rice syrup
- 2 ts sesame oil
- 2-3 tb water (enough to thin out your sauce to a spreadable consistency)
- 1 head of roasted garlic
- Pepper your steak and pop it into your freezer for it to firm up enough to cut into thin slices (20 min or so)…add your slices to your marinade (the longer it sits the better min: 30 min up to 2 days) *Grilling outdoors makes this superb.
- Cut the top off of your whole head of garlic, wrap it in a sheet of foil after liberally dousing with olive oil, S + P. Mine took about 35-45 min but check on it after the 30 min mark and see if it’s satisfactory to you. Blitz to mix.
- To assemble, smear your sauce on your flat-bread, drape your toppings and sprinkle with cheese. The naan takes literally less than 5 min so bake at 350 until your cheese gets nice and gooey.
One day, I want to have a pizza party with all of y’all…just like in grade school with balloons, streamers, and glass bottle sodas!!
Your Squishy Monster