From Cupcakes to Traditional Korean Food and Everything in Between

Cake & Lightning

The first of August always marks Mama’s birthday (that is, if you conveniently ignore the fact that technically, her Korean birthday is selected on a new and different day each year according to the Lunar Calender).  Koreans consider the gestation period as the first year and age is referred to in terms of Sal 살.

Yesterday was also subject to one of the craziest lightning storms ever.  Of course me and my friends thought it’d be brilliant to go swimming.  (Mind you, right after a large meal + the baby stages of a booming lightning storm).  Needless to say, we hung out by the lounge chairs and allowed mosquitoes to dine at an all-you-can-eat Squishy buffet.  I think there was conversation and music in the background.  I can’t say because I was waging a futile battle with the mosquitoes and I lost… my poor arms and legs look like sheets of angry red button candy.  Remember those?

Ah, I digress.  I can’t help it.  Currently, I’m scratch-scratch-scratching, making the situation worse and as I peer into a mirror, my suspicions are confirmed HAHA.

…but as I was saying, let’s rewind a bit.  We fused east with west and had the traditional Korean Birthday Soup and afterwards, Mama had her cake and ate it too!

On the left, you’ll find it in it’s dried form.  Rehydrate and about 15 minutes later, you have glossy, streaky ribbons of Seaplant/Sea Mustard/Seaweed for soup OR, this salad.

I will definitely be making a video on this but until then, here’s how I made mine for last nights dinner:

Seaweed Soup Recipe Miyeokguk 미역국

Pulling the flavors of Summer together, I decided to bake mama a lemon layer cake, stuffed with macerated strawberries, frosted with a fluffy, lemon scented whipped cream.

This is this Cake revamped with meyer lemons, instead.  There’s a lot of lemon lovin’ going on.  I pulled back a half cup with my dairy and made up for it with fresh lemon juice and sprinkled in a heavy dose of lemon zest.  I opted out of a heavier buttercream and infused the whipped cream with plenty of lemon zest too.  I created a bit more height and a refreshing and summer-y layer with macerated strawberries (I used 2 tb sugar + 1/4 c limoncello)

and the big bang to the night….!

I think I must have sat there in between bug bites, starring at this silent and wondrous sky for at least an hour.

Crazy, huh?

Cake & Lightning,

Your Squishy Monster

23 thoughts on “Cake & Lightning

• Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us you really know what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Please also visit my web site =). We could have a link exchange arrangement between us!

• Charles says:

I do love me a good lightning storm. Always nice after many hot days when the spikes of raw energy come crashing down and the inevitable, cooling torrential rain comes along with it.

I love seaweed – I could eat it by the handful so I bet I’d love this soup. I’ve never seen this seaweed for sale anywhere though – must look harder!

• 미역국 is my fave. I never even got sick of in once when I was forced to eat it daily after both bebes. YUMMM! Happy friday babe! xO!

• that cake looks so incredibly delicious. yumy!

• Louise says:

I too love Korean Seaweed Soup although I have never made it myself. I really can’t wait to try it! It sounds delicious!!!

And that cake looks heavenly. Just perfect for your Mother’s birthday! wish her a Happy one from us:)

I hope your bites are clearing up. That was some good advice Lester gave you. The dryer sheets seems to help especially the Bounce brand. Unfortunately I can’t think of any relief remedies off hand. Vinegar perhaps?

Thank you so much for sharing your evening with us Squishy. That’s some shot. I’m glad everyone stayed safe:)

• Happy Birthday to your mom! I love Korean seaweed soup! I never prepared it with seafood and that’s a great idea. I am excited to give it a try, also fish sauce?? Yum, this is going to be nice comforting soup.

I feel that the fish sauce imparts a nice, savory kick…working behind the scenes and you’re also able to pull back the kosher salt.

• icbinb says:

Happy Birthday Squishy Mama!!!!

• CCU says:

Happy birthday for whichever day your mum chooses to have her birthday :D
    I love the lightning pics, and hoping the Mosquitos clear off!
    Though your blood will be quite sweet after that delicious cake :)
    I also love the seaweed soup, looks healthy but tasty!

• Woooah! That is some lightening! MY mom’s birthday is today!! Happy birthday to both our momma’s :D

• The clicks of lightening are amazing!
    Love your seaweed soup. I sometimes added some tofu to the soup too.

• Lester says:

Happy Birth day to your Momma Angie! I hope she had a wonderful day!
    The cake looks lovely and delicious!!!!!!!
    Sea weed looks tasty. I will try a dish with it soon…
    Fascinating sky photo Angie.
    Lightning struck the cable lines in my town and destroyed tv’s computers INCLUDING OURS HERE3 years ago! Angie! I respect and fear lightning! Storms seem to be a lot worse now.Lots of ground strikes.Our street repair fill lot of Lightning caused holes all over town last week!

Water can attract lightning so well careful of beig near trees lakes, pools, Lightning is best viewed from I feel lol safe in doors Angie. Oh Angie a fifty fifty mixture of fabric softener and water ( a spray boo bottle) Spray it out side near where you will be All sorts of biting bugs SEEM TO HATE IT and stay away. Dryer sheets near or on you( pocket, etc) have same effect.aloe, tea tree oil can sooth bug bites. keeps bugs away also. Have a great day Angie!

xoxo.

I hope you do, it’s yum!

Thanks for the tip, I will have to try it. I hear rubbing basil on yourself works too, lol.

I love that you gave your mom a fusion birthday! The cake sounds majorly delicious.